Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge is a 16-bed luxury facility designed by Nick Plewman, an acclaimed small lodge designer. The lodge is situated at a prime site in the west of the Madikwe Game Reserve, straddling the Tweedepoort Ridge with expansive views across the northern plains and Inselbergs. The central lodge sits on the slopes of a hill across a ravine, separating it from the chalets. Each of the chalets is positioned on the ridge with expansive views to the north. Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge opened in November 2004.
The lodge has eight suites, each with their own viewing deck, decorated in natural hues of colour and texture, offering a very private and luxurious experience. The thatched suites, with sliding doors from each room and shower allow the guest to experience a oneness with the beauty of the bushveld.
The main lodge is spectacularly located on two tiers of the ridge, accessed via a wooden bridge that crosses a ravine surrounded by rock figs. Each of the living areas has its own character, mood and style providing guests with a choice of breathtaking views and tranquil spaces. The lodge has reception, dining, lounge, an upper and lower deck, and swimming pool areas.
Open vehicle game drives, stargazing, bush dining, birding, botany interests. Madikwe is home to a tremendous diversity of fauna and flora, including both black and white rhino, buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah and wild dog. The lodge is a superb open vehicle safari destination where guests are accompanied by well-trained and informative rangers who are able to interpret the many encounters whilst on safari.
What to take
Comfortable walking shoes, sun hat, sunglasses, sun block, cameras, binoculars, light neutral-coloured clothing and bathing suit in summer; and warm clothing and jackets are essential in winter (May to October).
Summer – October to March
Rainy season with hot days and warm nights. Temperatures 25°C – 40°C.
Winter – April to September
Dry season with generally warm days and cold nights. Temperatures 0°C – 25°C.
How to get there
Daily scheduled flights are operated from Johannesburg International Airport to the Madikwe Airstrip with Federal Air / Madikwe Air Charters. Private air-charters are organised on request. It is only a 4-hour drive from Johannesburg to Buffalo Ridge (Please request a map on reservation).
GPS Co-ordinates: S24 46m 0.11s | E26 12m 17s
Directions to Buffalo Ridge from Johannesburg International Airport, now O.R. TAMBO AIRPORT
- Take R21 to Pretoria.
- Head north on the N1 towards the N4 Toll Road.
- Take the N4 Toll road north west towards Rustenburg, Swartruggens, Groot Marico and Zeerust.
- Once in Zeerust turn right at the fourth stop street into President Street. There is a signpost on the left that says “ Madikwe Game Reserve/Gaborone” and a First National Bank on the corner to the right.
- Follow the R49 towards the reserve for approximately 97km.
- The first entrance to the reserve is Abjaterskop gate.
- Pass that gate and enter at the next gate – Wonderboom Gate exactly 7km from the first gate.
- Contact details for the Lodge: +27 (0)18 365-9908 and ask for Godfrey or Priscilla.